Thursday, August 9, 2012

Down and Dirty 30 Minute Treadmill Workout

So I am always trying my hardest to come up with ways to find motivation to make it on the treadmill for runs when running outside isn't an option.  Just simply getting on the treadmill and running at a single pace for 30 minutes is enough to make me scream, so having a workout in mind prior to heading to the gym has been my best friend on these days!  One thing that I have noticed is that some of the interval workouts I've looked at and tried are pretty difficult to remember and having a piece of paper on the treadmill to use as a reference while running is pretty difficult to manage, so I came up with this simple speed interval workout that goes like this:

- Set the incline on 0.5 to 1 just for good measure :) Having a slight incline on the treadmill more accurately mimics running on the road, as a treadmill set to no incline is about as flat as flat gets!

- Warm up with a little harder than comfortable pace for the 1st 3 minutes

- Then shoot up the pace to 7.5 MPH for 2 minutes

- 3 minute recovery at 6.5 MPH or above

- 2 minutes at 8.0 MPH

- 3 minute recovery at 6.5 MPH or above

- 2 minutes at 8.5 MPH.... this is where I get to sweating :)

- 3 minute recovery at 6.5 MPH or above

- 2 minutes at 9.0 MPH

- 3 minute recovery at 6.5 MPH or above

- 2 minutes at 9.5 MPH...ouch

- 5 minute cool down....I start at 2 minutes at 5.5 MPH (jog), the 1 minute at 4.0 MPH (walk) the 2 minutes walking at 3.0 or below

So if you're needing to add some speed work into to your training, this is a challenging, yet easy to remember workout that I do once a week in addition to my other run training.  If you cannot maintain the MPH levels above, of course you can adjust them to whatever level that you're currently at, or if its too slow for you then I hope you don't show up at any of the races I am entered in :)

HAPPY TRAINING TO YOU!!!!!!!

1 comment: