Tuesday, June 25, 2013

What Supplements Should You Consider Using????

I often get asked if there are any dietary supplements out there that I use and recommend?  Now before I go any further here, I want to stress my position on supplements.  Supplements are just that....supplements, meaning that they are meant to supplement your diet and not to be used as a primary source of micronutrients or other needed substances.  Ideally, we should get all the nutrients that our bodies require for optimal functioning from the healthy and whole foods that we consume, yet realistically many days even the most dedicated of us miss the mark.  This is exactly where dietary supplements come into play.  Dr. Andrew Weil is a medical physician that I very much trust and respect and he states that supplements should be used as an insurance policy against gaps in our diet.  So here's the list of supplements that I use on a daily basis:

The first supplement that use is a quality whey protein powder.  Protein is the building block of muscle tissue, is necessary for recovery from exercise, and is used as energy by the body (although not the perferred source of energy...that's carbs).  Whey protein is easy absorbed and assimilated by the body and gets into the muscle tissues quickly.  It's a complete protein, meaning it provides us with the essential amino acids needed.  I use a whey protein powder mixed with water, almond milk or with Greek yogurt several times per day (especially before and after my hard weight training workouts) to increase my protein intake without adding an excessive amount of calories to my diet.  See my pervious blog post of the benefits of Whey Protein.

Secondly, I always take a quality multivitamin each day.  Mulitvitamins give us the needed vitamins and minerals for proper body functioning, including metabolism.  They help us in getting those micronutrients needed for heart health, improved circulation, bone health and in all other functions of the body.  See my previous post by searching for Consider Taking a Daily Multivitamin.

The third supplement I take daily is 2000 IU's of Vitamin D3.  Vitamin D is important for mood regulation and bone health among others benefits.  Dr. Weil suggests this amount each day and reports that most people actually suffer from a vitamin D deficiency.  See my previous blog post on Vitamin D and beating depression naturally.

The final supplement that I take daily is Fish Oil for the Omega 3 Fatty Acids it contains.  Check out the link to my article on Omega 3 Fatty Acid benefits here:
http://www.myfitnesstunes.com/explaining-omega-3s

Always talk with your trusted health care professional prior to adding or deleting supplements to your diet and as always........

Stay Focused and Happy Training Y'all!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment