Monday, July 30, 2012

Olympic Fever

So I gotta admit, they're few things that excite me as much as the summer Olympics.  Its been that way since the '88 games in South Korea.  I was 9 at the time and that was the first Olympic games that I watched pretty much non stop.  I remember bits and pieces of the '84 games, but mainly just a bunch of McDonald's commercials about the Olympics, ha ha (sad I know, but that's the power of marketing).  Seeing the world's best athletes go head-to-head in a true "World" competition inspires me beyond words.  I still remember that summer of 1988 getting an old wooden tennis racquet from the Goodwill for a dollar and stealing a chewed up tennis ball from the neighbor's dog.  I spent countless hours hitting the ball against the side of the house thinking I was going to be the next world tennis champion.  I'd then run over to a make-shift punching bag my older brother had hanging from a tree and work on my boxing skills.  I'd end the day with some track and field activities, just certain that I could make the games in some event :)  Well I never made it to the Olympics, but I certainly never lost that sense of excitement over something so amazing as seeing the athletes from all walks of life come together in such a beautiful exposition of skill, talent, grace, strength. poise, spirit and intelligence.  Nowadays, I use this inspiration from the Olympics to motivate me to push harder in my workouts, and to strive to be the best that I can at my own personal athletic endeavors.  If you've yet to watch any of the games....I suggest doing so and see if you can catch a lil' of that Olympic Fever!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment