Sunday, February 17, 2013

Reuter Family YMCA Indoor Triathlon Race Report


So today was the start of my 2013 Triathlon season, in terms of racing that is.  Pretty early start to the year, right???  The Reuter Family YMCA’s Annual Indoor Triathlon is a great little race that the Asheville Tri Club puts on each year.  It’s a 15 minute pool swim, a 45 minute spin class, and an outdoor 5k run that today, was a balmy 31 degrees around race time!  This race entry fee is only $10 (that's unheard of these days) and the give-a-ways they offer are just phenomenal!  Last year I won a $50 gift certificate to a local running store and this year I answered a trivia question correctly and won a huge container of HEED electrolyte sports drink made by Hammer Nutrition that will come in handy next weekend when I do my indoor 70.3 and later in May when I tackle the Do-It-Yourself 140.6!  Perfect timing I’d say in that regard!  I also go a cool Columbia beanie that my wife loves and took from me!  This little event is a fun way to start off the season and the people that compete, as well as the Tri club members that make it happen, are among the nicest people in the sport!
So to the race….. The pool was a toasty 80 something degrees this morning, which given the weather outside and my disliking of cold water, was a pleasant surprise for me!  I was a bit worried about being put in the 2nd fastest lane line-up, but I ended up leading the way in our lane.  I’m not a superb swimmer by any means, but today once I worked my way to the front, I felt really relaxed and strong in the water.  Finished 17 laps in the 15 minutes and could have easily gotten several more if I would have just decided to lead off instead of letting the others go first.  This was a half lap more than I managed last year and the biggest difference was that last year I literally felt like I was going to blow-up during the swim.  I have certainly improve my technique and "feel" in the water.
The 45 minute spin class was just as fun as last year’s and Chris the instructor is a really great guy and local cyclist.  It didn’t hurt that he blasted Led Zepplin through the speakers for the last half of the class!  You can’t help but feel more powerful with John Bonham pounding the drums in the background!  Distance is not measured during the “bike segment” of this race, so in that way it isn’t really a competitive race, more or less just a group triathlon workout.  That’s actually a good thing because it allows you to enjoy the race and have fun with those around you.  Sometimes the competitive nature of races can sap the fun right out of them.
After the spin class, it was outside to face the cold and run a 5k distance course.  One thing about the Western NC Mountains is that they are not many 3 mile spans that aren’t full of natural beauty and this run course is no exception.  We headed out of the YMCA parking lot and out onto a paved path through a wooded section that twists and turns with a small stream.  The out portion of the course was a slight and continual incline, so I learned last year that the back portion is somewhat easier!  That’s always a good thing!  The final push to the start/finish line is a decent little climb as well.  My finish time for the 5k was 24 minutes and 29 seconds.  Not my fastest 5k time, but roughly 20 seconds faster than last year’s time at this event.  I seem to run faster in warmer weather, probably because of for whatever reason, I get a better start and need less time to settle into my race pace.  I’m still chasing that 20 minute 5k…… ugh, one day guys, one day.
Afterwards, there were plenty of yummy looking foods donated by a local coffee shop/café.  I think I should have waited to become vegan until after this race J  The breakfast burritos they had were a little hard to pass up, but if you can’t be honest with yourself right?  I did grab a couple of Hammer gels and a glass of water and exited Stage Left.  If you are in the Asheville area this time of year, you need to sign up and do this one.  Every participant received some awesome give-a-ways ranging from fuel belts and arm warmers, to Tri racing jerseys (I’m totally jealous) and running visors.  It’s also a great way to meet some of the great folks in the triathlon scene here in Western NC and it's a super workout for sure!  Having people around you totally makes you push harder!
Stay focused and Happy Training Y’all!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment