Sunday, January 13, 2013

The Do-It-Yourself 140.6 Triathlon!



I wanted to share a bit more personal blog this time around and put my training goal for this winter/spring out there.  If we tell others are goals and make them public, we're much more likely to stick with them :) So a few weeks back after reading and being inspired by the book Finding Ultra, I re-evaluated my goals and intentions as a triathlete.  I enjoy the challenge and the personal struggle I face while training and I love persuing optimal health.  Back when I first started training, my bucket-list race was to do the real thing....and Ironman distance race.  The problem an actual Ironman race is 650 to 700 bucks!  Smaller venue and Rev3 races are still a whopping 350 to 500 dollars, so honestly, I'll more-than-likely never be willing to pay that to race.  I've thought about raising money, but then I think wow, seriously if I raise money shouldn't it be for a better cause than me running in a triathlon race? 

So while driving back from an amazing Christmas visit with my wife's family, I decided that I can simply do my own 140.6 and invite anyone that wants to join me to do so.  It's simply going to be one big workout more or less since I am not really racing against anyone.  I'll keep true to the 140.6 cut-off time of 17 hours to complete the 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride and 26.2 mile run.  When I thought more in-depth about the whole thing, I realized that it's about the distance and not the venue or who is putting it on.  I have to admit I am a pretty do-it-yourself kind of guy, so this totally makes sense that I would do it in this fashion!  I already have my close friend Dustin on board to do it with me, so I am pretty stoked to say the least!  I've set the date for Saturday May 25th, 2013 and I am in the 3rd week of my 20 week training program and feeling motivated, optimistic and fired-up y'all!  It's going to be an epic journey to say the least and with going to Chiropractic school in October for the next 3 years, now was the time to commit to this goal.  If anyone takes anything from this, I hope that it demonstrates that if we have a goal, sometimes we have to get creative in order to achieve it!

Stay Focused and Happy Training!!!!!

Chris

1 comment:

  1. I respect you SO much for not letting anything get in the way of your goal! It demonstrates an incredible amount os self-discipline and motivation to do this on your own. And it shows how important goals are for our selves, as opposed to for the approval of others. You have all my support!!!

    ReplyDelete