Thursday, September 6, 2012

Health Risks Associated with Sedentary Living


So I am currently working on my Fitness Trainer certification through the International Sport Science Association, which if you’re ever looking to get your certification, might I suggest going through this particular program.  After months (well honestly years because I have been reading about their programs and trainers since the 1990’s) I decided to go with their program in hopes of doing some trainer work in addition to my full time job as a mental health professional.  Anyway, one thing that was highlighted in my recent studies is the fact that 25% of all Americans live a sedentary lifestyle (meaning no exercise).  What makes this even worse is recent studies have demonstrated that living a sedentary life is just as detrimental to the body as smoking 1 ½ packs of cigarettes a day! 

Obesity is becoming an epidemic in the United States with estimates that 1/3 of the adult population is currently obese.  What’s worse in this case is the fact that more and more children and young people are within the obese category.  Studies have demonstrated that children that are obese have a substantially higher risk of heart disease as an adult.  Poor dietary choices, lack of education, and lack of exercise are what I see as the main causes of obesity in our country.  In my opinion I personally feel that while genetics can play a small part in a “predisposition” to being overweight, it has more to do with the choices the individual makes.  My entire family is overweight, with most members falling into the obese range and at one point in my adult life, I too battled with obesity.  That experience demonstrated to me that if I could lose weight, then so to could the rest of my family.  I made the choice to do something about my weight (meaning eating a clean diet and adding exercise to my daily routine). 

Another area that I just wanted to hit on in this blog post is the ever rising healthcare costs in our country.  Being overweight and non-active almost certainly doubles the need for medical care as we age, and more and more insurance companies are denying coverage or increasing premiums for those people that are obese.  I too have some experience with this being that prior to losing weight, I was facing being put on both cholesterol and blood pressure medications, for what the doctor said would potentially be for the rest of my life.  It was amazing that within 60 days of exercising and losing weight, both my blood pressure and LDL level were within the healthy range.  That honest-to-goodness is all it took to avoid being put on medications for the rest of my life!  So that being said, I became a huge advocate for health and fitness and I hope that we all can become passionate about taking our health and wellness seriously.  Even if you are fit and eat a well balanced diet, go out and inspire others to join the wellness movement!  We can all use a little motivation to push ourselves to the next level, regardless of where we are!

No comments:

Post a Comment