Monday, March 31, 2014

Capital 10 Miler for the Arts Run





So the family and I are up in Lancaster, PA this week to visit with family and celebrate the completion of my 2nd quarter of Chiropractic school.  I was asked by my brother-in-law and sister-in-law to run with them in the Capital Area 10 Miler for the Arts in Harrisburg, PA this past weekend and being the hardheaded type, I couldn't say no.  Well, I can honestly say that due to the weather, this was hands down the most brutal event I've been in, including the Ironman that I finished last year!  Temperatures were in the lower 30's and there was a heavy rain falling the entire race.  Nothing but puddles and mud on the course, yet I have to admit that finishing this event was an awesome feeling! I think when all was said and done, my clothes had to weigh an extra 20 pounds or more being that they were completely soaked from the rain (and I swear there was some ice too).

My training for this event was nonexistent.  I've literally gotten the opportunity to run maybe 5 times in the last 6 months and have not completed a 10 mile run since the Ironman in May of last year.  I've been weight training primarily so my mass is up and my speed is down.  That being said, my goals for the race were simply (1) to finish (2) finish in less than 2 hours and (3) not have to walk at any point during the race.  Well, at a finish time of slightly over 1 hour and 51 minutes, believe it or not, I accomplished all 3 goals!  It was somewhat humbling to take it down a notch and not feel like I was in contention for anything, and I must be honest, there is something to be said about slowing down and taking in the atmosphere of a race.  Of course at this race with the weather we had, I'd almost rather not have taken in so much of the atmosphere!


Stay focused and happy training y'all!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment